Product Design & Engineering

KS3 Product Design

Year 7

The pupils use Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM) to produce a keyring. This project introduces pupils to plastics and CAD/CAM as well as developing their design skills. Pupils also complete 2 mini projects working with metal and wood. 

Year 8

Pupils in year 8 produce a bird box which can be used at home or donated to local wildlife sites. This project develops their skills with hand tools as well as looking at the theory behind their designs.

Year 9

In year 9 pupils have the choice of two projects, a passive amplifier or a makeup stand. This project develops their design skills and looks at more areas of theory which links directly to Product Design at Key Stage 4.

 

KS4

AQA Product Design GCSE

GCSE Design and Technology: Product Design enables students to design and make products with creativity and originality, using a range of materials and techniques.

Packaging, labelling and instructions are encouraged as part of the complete design proposal and advertising, points of sale can be used to supplement the making experience and help create products which can be evaluated for their commercial viability.

This course has 60 per cent controlled assessment in order to recognise the importance of practical work within this subject. The remaining 40% comes in the form of a final written exam on the theory aspect of the course.

More information about AQA Product Design GCSE may be found by clicking this link

 

OCR National Engineering Manufacture

Cambridge Nationals are vocationally related qualifications that take an engaging, practical and inspiring approach to learning and assessment.

This qualification is part of the new Cambridge Nationals in Engineering suite. It is aimed at students who wish to study the processes involved in manufacturing new engineered products.

The course provides students with the knowledge and skills required to operate manufacturing tools and equipment used to make products in accordance with a design specification, and develops their understanding of the processes and systems required to transfer a design concept into a mass produced quality product. 

More information about OCR National Engineering Manufacture GCSE may be found by clicking this link

 

Example of GCSE year 11 Conrolled Assessment project toy box.
 

 

 

Junior hacksaw as part of unit 5 assignment

Typical CAD drawn circuit diagram

Typical engineering drawing for junior hacksaw

 

Technology Work Area

There is a well-equipped work area with a range of traditional tools, electronic circuit construction equipment and latest technology – a laser cutter and two 3D printers.

workshop

 

3-D Printing

 


 

Lazer Cutting - Plywood Keyring

 

Links

KS3

www.technologystudent.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education

KS4

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/design-and-technology/gcse/design-and-technology-product-design-4555

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/firsts2012/engineering/Pages/default.aspx

www.technologystudent.com

www.123dapp.com/howto/design

www.123dapp.com/design-alt

http://home.btconnect.com/bordereta/ED8E_11/

http://www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk/Engineering_presentation/

http://www.raeng.org.uk/

http://www.mmsonline.com/videos/browse/all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education

http://www.templatemaker.nl/

GCSE POD
SAM Learning